Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
Nancy Kress
The Accidental Creative: How to Be Brilliant at a Moment's Notice
Todd Henry

Not Less Than Gods

Not Less Than Gods - Kage Baker Was really hoping this book would be interesting, because I've been wanting to read some good steampunk. Unfortunately, I'm on page 115 and just never got engaged with the book.

It starts out focused on some servants of the house watching this boy grow up. You might get a little attached to the military fellow, but then the boy is all grown up, and we start following him. The house staff are somewhat forgotten.

The boy thinks he's going to save the world... But interestingly, there's no conflict. Leaves the reader feeling like nothing is really happening. I appreciate that the book is written in a Victorian style/voice, but I was hoping it would follow traditional character, plot, conflict ideals nonetheless.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when the leader of this small band has the others plant a listening device, and when they ask what it is, he says all in due time... And then later is impatient that they don't know what it is.

It may pick up more later, but I'm stopping here.